What's on my mind?
    follow me on Twitter
    gravatar

    Church Dilemma

    If I were to decide where I would want to get married in the Philippines, I would choose it to be in Caleruega, Tagaytay, or in Fernbrook Gardens, Manila. But as much as I dream about those places, they are not an option because I have a BIG family, and relatives that we have to consider. Aside from the distance, most of them can't afford to travel that far and if we insist to have our wedding there, we will be obliged to shoulder all of their expenses, from the fares to their hotel accomodations etc. etc. There will be too many hassles and too much work, plus it'll be too expensive so we are trying to avoid that. So now, I don't have a choice, but have to focus on planning our wedding in my hometown, Naga City, which is in Bicol. The place where I grew up and where most of my family, relatives, and friends live.

    Naga City is just a small town in Camarines Sur, so I have fewer options to choose from for our ceremony venue. We have lots of Catholic churches there, but I have two options. One is the biggest and, if I'm not mistaken, the oldest church in the entire Bicol region, the St. John The Evangelist Parish or commonly known as the Naga Metropolitan Cathedral. The other one is a modern looking one, the Basilica Minore. Now I'm struggling in choosing from these two. Two months ago, we already tried to call these churches to inquire, and check if we could possibly book it already. Unfortunately, they think it's way too early before our preferred wedding date so they told us that they couldn't do it yet and they asked us to call them again this August. But after I had two more months to research online and read about these churches, and from asking my family and friends for their comments and suggestions, it just made me so much more confused. Both has advantages and disadvantages for me. So to help myself decide, I have made a review about these two churches. Here it goes:

    Naga Cathedral ------------------------------ Basilica Minore


    Exteriors












    I'm not
    an oldie fan, the main thing that I don't like about Cathedral. Also, it is centrally located surrounded by the schools and commercial areas. On the other hand, Basilica looks modern, classy and neat which suits my taste more. It is in the outskirts of the city surrounded by a well maintained and a nice large park, a perfect view for our possible guests and visitors.



    Interiors












    Cathedral is bigger compared to Basilica. Though size doesn't really matter for me as long there's enough space for my possible guests. Besides, I don't need the biggest church anyways, as I won't be inviting our entire barangay, hehe. It's not really a must but it would be great to walk in a long aisle to enjoy my (as if) dramatic entrance moment:P. The bigger means more expenses for flowers and designs for the church though and I don't really wanna spend that much for those accessories. Cathedrals interior looks dark and has a cozy lightings while Basilica seems so bright inside.



    Altars






















    If you notice it, the one displayed in the altar of Cathedral is the
    image of Jesus Christ laid on the cross while in Basilica is the image of Virgin Mary, sculpted in 1710. It is because Basilica is the house of the Patroness of the Bicol region whom we call Our Lady of Peñafrancia or Ina. Every September, we celebrate the feast of Penãfrancia, the biggest Catholic Festival in Bicol.

    These image differences isn't really much of a big deal for me but I am more impressed with Cathedrals altar. It looks so grand and elegant for me. It also has a great facilities like the sound systems and it has a digital projectors which makes it easier for the people to participate or respond during the mass.


    Walls/Ceilings













    I prefer Basilica's design here. It looks neat and fresh. It is something that fits in my modern taste. Whilst Cathedrals has this vintage painted arts on its wall, it adds to the coziness and solemnity inside the church.


    Gazebo/Pavillion













    Both of these two churches has this gazebo's, pavillions or whatever it's called. I think it's usually used when there's a big occasion like The Peñafrancia Festival.
    It both lies infront or in the main door of the church. Basilica's ground looks greener which would be great for picture takings after the ceremony.


    The last time I saw either of these churches was like 10 years ago so I can't really remember it anymore. Besides, it surely had lots of improvements already after all those years. It would be easier for me to decide what is best for me if only I can go there myself and see it personally. But too bad coz the next time that I'll be able to see these churches again will be like two weeks before or on our exact wedding day. My H2B (husband to be), who's letting me decide to this is just waiting for my decision so we can book it asap.

    To sum it all, I am in love with Basilica's exterior and Cathedral's interior! The entire reason why it makes it so complicated for me to decide from these two. How I wish they're just combined into one, but well, nothing is perfect in this world. I have to accept the fact that I can't have everything I want. :P

    Btw, thanks to Sinjin for this lovely pictures. His photos made the churches look so amazing, and actually increases my confusion more! Hehe.

    To all of you, my dear readers out there (if there's any :P), what do you think? Your comments and suggestions is highly appreciated.

    Thank You!





    For more info, you can contact them at:

    St. John The Evangelist Parish or Naga Cathedral
    Address: Elias Angeles St., Naga City 4400
    Phone: (054) 473-18-36

    Basilica Minore
    Address: Balatas Road, Naga City
    Phone: +63(54)4733644
    Other Contact: +63(54)4736914

    gravatar

    ive been to both of the churches. the basilica has a more private space but the cathedral is more elegant.

    i would recommend the cathedral.

    oh by the way, i like this blog's theme format. wonder where you got this. thanks.

    gravatar

    Thanks! We've made a decision already after I did this review. Yup, Cathedral nga :D.

    Got this theme from bloggertricks.com originally from camelgraph.com.

    Go check it out. :)